Archive for the 'WLVI (CW56)' Category
WHDH has added a trio of reporters to their news operations. TVSpy reported on Monday that the staffers will be joining from significantly smaller markets.
The expansion news begins with Brandon Gunnoe, formerly an anchor and reporter at KVOA in Tucson, joins 7 as a weekend anchor and weekday reporter, replacing newser-turned-professor Dave Kartunen. Nancy Chen has also signed a contract with the station to be a reporter. She previously worked at KSBY. Also, Alexandra Field arrives on Bulfinch Place as a freelance reporter. She comes from WRGB, the CBS-affil in Albany.
Former ’56er Paul Mueller has resurfaced in Tampa as a reporter for regional cable net Bay News 9. The popular weekender was last seen at WGGB in Springfield before his abrupt departure just over one year ago.
In the time between, Mueller confronted and waged an inspiring battle with his alcoholism. He relocated to Florida and began to rebuild and renew. On April 23rd, he celebrated his one-year anniversary alcohol free.
Mueller, a longtime friend and supporter of btvn, wrote on Facebook that he is “grateful and entirely humbled to be allowed to begin the next chapter of [his] career.”
This move comes after several interviews with different outlets in the southeast. Paul Mueller’s first day at Bay News 9 is Monday May 7th.
7 News anchor Sorboni Banerjee has left Bulfinch Place. The Herald reports today that the popular weekender is headed to Fox25.
Banerjee, who joined WHDH in 2006, is moving up the dial to work alongside Gene Lavanchy and Shannon Mulaire on the Fox25 Morning News.
No word yet on her last day at 7 or her debut on Fox.
Ousted 7News weekender Larry Ridley has landed in central Florida. According to multiple sources, Ridley will be signing a contract with NewsCenter5 sister-station WESH 2 News in Orlando, where he will become sports director.
Ridley is excited about his new job, remarking, “I’m looking forward to it.” He also told TVSpy, “I’m definitely looking forward to the warmer temperatures.”
According to the report, final details are still being ironed out, but Ridley is expected to be appearing on the weeknight shows.
As you may remember, btvn first broke the news that Ridley left channel 7 following a non-renewal. He had held the weekend sports anchor position since 2006.
The blackout has officially ended. As of around 6p.m. on Thursday night, over 200,000 DirecTV subscribers can now tune into 7NBC and CW56. This ends a twelve day block on programming from the two stations, ending legions of controversy revolving NBC’s broadcast rights of Super Bowl XLVI.
“We are pleased that we reached an agreement with DirecTV, and we appreciate our viewers’ patience during this tough negotiation,” General Manager Chris Wayland said in a statement, “We are especially delighted that all our viewers will now be able to see NBC’s telecast of the Super Bowl as well as our own extensive coverage from Indianapolis.”
DirecTV was also quick to issue a statement, remarking, “We are pleased to have reached an agreement to end the Sunbeam blackout, and regret that any of our customers were forced into the middle of a business dispute where they should never have been in the first place. We believe, like many, the public interest is best served by allowing customers to keep their local broadcast stations as we negotiate future agreements, rather than being denied access by broadcast stations and used as leverage in what should be a private business matter.”
As the DirecTV blackout becomes more and more dire with the Super Bowl approaching, prominent Massachusetts politicians have taken to writing letters to heads of both companies, urging a resolution. Senator Scott Brown (R-MA), Senator John Kerry (D-MA), and ten other politicians have issued statements to the companies about the possible lack of service during a game in which a Massachusetts team are appearing in.
Since January 13th, both WHDH and WLVI have been off the air for DirecTV subscribers due to a failure to reach a retransmission agreement. Sunbeam Television, owners of the duopoly, are asking for a 300 percent increase in fees paid, which they claim is market value for a strongly rated NBC affiliate in the 7th largest television market.
Hit the jump for letters from both Massachusetts Senators.
Continue reading ‘Senators Send Strong Suggestions to Sunbeam, Satellite’
btvn sources have been telling us that 7 Sports anchor and reporter Larry Ridley has reportedly severed his relationship with WHDH. According to sources inside the station, the popular sports guy left the station after nearly six years. It’s a story you’ll see on just one
After joining the station in 2006, Ridley became anchor of the weekend edition of 7 Sports and
BMW Honda Acura SportsXtra. Prior to his time at 7 Bulfinch Place, however, Ridley was a sports reporter at sister-station WSVN. Throughout his tenure in Boston, Ridley became a popular figure due to his personable nature and quick wit.
Shortly after his quiet departure from the station, Ridley changed his Twitter handle and launched a new sports blog.
Sunbeam Television and DirecTV have failed to reach a carriage agreement. As of Friday at 12:00 a.m., both WHDH and WLVI were pulled from DirecTV lineups, replaced with a still image from DirecTV.
On both stations’ websites, viewers are greeted with a message regarding the conflict:
Sunbeam Television Corporation, the parent company of WHDH-TV Channel 7 and WLVI Channel 56, could not come to an agreement regarding a renewal of its carriage agreement with DirecTV. We are working hard to reach an agreement with DirecTV so that you can receive our signal again. Until we do you will not be able to view WHDH and WLVI on DirecTV, but you can receive Channel 7 and Channel 56 over the air and from other cable and satellite providers. We are seeking fair market value for the transmission of our signal. We have been able to negotiate deals with several other providers. We appreciate your viewership and hope to be back on DirecTV as soon as possible.
If you would like to voice your concerns to DirecTV, here’s the number to call. 1-800-531 5000.
Sunbeam had been looking for a 300 percent increase in retransmission fees, which has been a sticking point in negotiations for weeks. During that time, DirecTV has been able to come to agreements with dozens of other stations, including Hearst’s WCVB, which had been displaying a message to viewers with the possibility of removal.
Around 2:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning, a 25 year-old man was hit while trying to cross I-93 in Somerville. The vehicle which hit him, a 2010 Ford Explorer registered to WHDH, was driven by a 7News photographer who was en route to cover a story.
According to the station’s website, the man had left his damaged vehicle in the left lane of the highway and attempted to cross over, where he was struck. Police are unclear as to the exact location of the crash that left the man’s vehicle damaged, as there was no debris around the scene.
“Obviously the station is very saddened by this event,” remarks 7/56 GM Chris Wayland. He also commented, “Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of everybody involved. And we will fully cooperate with the state police in order for the investigation to be done as thorough as possible.”
Police are now investigating the speed of the Explorer when the impact occurred. The driver of the news vehicle has not been charged. The injured man was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Photo courtesy of whdh.com
WHDH has finally reached a new contract with their union. AFTRA, which represents about thirty on-air personalities for the station, ratified a new three-year contract with the station last Wednesday.
According to TVSpy, the three-year deal eliminates fees paid to talent for each on-air appearance. This ends the long-serving practice of staffers keeping meticulous notes on their appearances. In exchange, staffers will receive a two percent increase in their base pay.
Tom Higgins, president of the Boston chapter of AFTRA, remarked that it was a “very difficult and protracted negotiation, particularly over the issue of fees.”
The issue of age discrimination was not settled with this new contract, however. The hot-button issue will continue to be a thorn in Sunbeam’s side, after multiple lawsuits from former staffers in both Boston and Miami